Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Only in Brampton...

...will you find that when you walk into a bank on customer appreciation day, instead of having the usual cookies they have a table set out with LADOOS.

Okay so I know Brampton is a little ghetto. I mean apparently we have the third largest Punjabi population in the world (someone verify this for me??) So we're bound to have some level of fobbiness. But even I was surprised to see that when I went into the bank today!!! I took a look around then and I swear more than 3/4 of the people in the branch were desi...so I guess that explained some of it. But still I mean come on...well I don't know. Here are some more things that "Only in Brampton will you find..."

1. The parking lot smelling strongly of masala... (I'm not even kidding...this is out in the OPEN AIR too)

2. Desi grocery stores at literally every corner...if one store doesn't have something, drive down a bit and you'll find at it at the next store. There's a new one opening up close to my area called "Bhandar Grocers". Maybe I'm wrong, but "Monkey Grocers"!?!? I thought nahh
maybe I have it wrong until I saw that they have a banana in their logo...so now I don't know... :S

3. People (desis) parked and taking pictures with the "BRAMPTON" sign at the Mississauga-Brampton border... (i've never seen it but apparently I've heard this has happened)

4. Blaring bhangra music is a norm...more commonly heard than normal music. You hear the music change as you drive in from Mississauga to Brampton...

5. You see more brown people congregating than white people...if you don't you get worried. If you see a group of white people, its almost rare...

6. A large selection of fashion stores. No need for Gerrard anymore!

7. The requirement for many jobs is "must be fluent in Hindi and Punjabi"...

8. You see more firecrackers at Diwali than you do on Canada Day and Victoria Day COMBINED and more lights put up than at Christmas...

I'm not going to be surprised if we see a baraat coming down the street complete with an elephant next. In any case, I can't think of any more right now...anyone else have anything to add???

P.S. I'm practically considered Mississauga...so I don't count =P

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

of course brampton has refs. its bad when the azn ppl who lived in brampton know how do bust out into bhangra on cue. many of the reasons im now in waterloo...actually not much better here, ive gone from refs to fobs. but at least they dun smell as bad.

u also forgot one key point, only in brampton will u find refs who waste all their time watchin channels like ary, z-tv, and b4u....hmmm, kinda like u.

April 13, 2005 9:23 PM  
Blogger Nauman said...

Now you know why I left Brampton after living there for 14 years... the smell of masaala everywhere was just too much to take.

April 13, 2005 9:36 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Haha... the list is soooo true. But I think its one of the things we like about Btown too. Ya feel at home. Atleast, in Brampton you're not the only one who smells like curry :) U can take comfort in that.

Irfan... you're too funny. I agree about the ARY and b4u thing... reffuages.

April 13, 2005 10:00 PM  
Blogger AKA said...

Ok, I feel I must step up and defend TD. It was ONLY that branch who was giving out ladoos because its Vaisakhi and that branch always goes all out for the Indian people since they make up for about 80% of their customers (they're on Ray Lawson...c'mon!!). Like I told Shaz, they wore suits/saris on Diwali last year! Though my branch is in Springdale, I know we're far from even thinking about doing anything remotely close (and if it comes up, I'm QUITTING).

April 13, 2005 10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha I wish we did stuff like that at my branch!!
Mann Shazia your scaring me!! I was getting all excited cuz im finally moving out of malton but now it seems like I'm moving to another malton all over again :"(

marria

April 14, 2005 6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i get the odd feeling that the TD in brampton has like a statue of ganesh in the safe or something?... reminds me of the quickie mart from simpsons... :P

April 15, 2005 9:54 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Marria you're movin to Brampton!??!!? Awesome!!

April 15, 2005 1:45 PM  
Blogger RandomLiterati said...

Marria you're moving to Brampton?? When/where??

April 15, 2005 5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marria, you're moving to brampton???????

- Anonymous

April 15, 2005 5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok folks....
whats with all this brampton/ARY/punjabi bashing goin on here. Lets not be ungrateful for what we have.
Ever been to Kansas City??
Trust me ...... You'd wish you were back in brampton cause you'd prolly be the only desi there.
Now whats with all this ARY business. I watch ARY and I must admit, some shows can be a bit corny but atleast they're wholesome. Its a channel you can watch without having to say "astaghfirullah" every 10 seconds. The other benefit of ARY(for those white-washed desis out there who can't speak a lick of urdu) is that it can help them perfect their speaking skills. Now a days, they even have a show that can help you with Tajweed. For me personally, the abrar videos help me perfect my punjabi :)

faisal.

April 15, 2005 5:23 PM  
Blogger RandomLiterati said...

I agree...ARY is probably the most wholesome channel on TV right now. But I don't like it when the news shows cut into the time when they're supposed to be showing dramas! For me, ARY helps me perfect my Pakistani urdu cuz our hydro urdu just isn't the same =P hehe jks. And I thought your punjabi was already perfect, why do you need Abrar to help? And why of all people ABRAR!!!

April 15, 2005 5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

because Abrar has the
"punjabi touch" :)

faisal.

April 15, 2005 8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nach punjaban nach punjaban...

April 15, 2005 8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Punjabi people are scary...

April 15, 2005 10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah I'm moving out of Malton at the end of this summer... Shocking eh! I love Malton!! I'm coming into your territory now... McLaughlin and Wanless rd. Right before Mayfield.

Marria

April 15, 2005 10:51 PM  
Blogger RandomLiterati said...

Marria that's too far!! You're closer to me in Malton right now than you will be over there...that's the boonies!!!

April 18, 2005 1:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nooo Shazia I'm actually closer!! We were at Sabine's house (parents house) the other day and we took visit to my new area and it took exactly 10min!! Right now I'm 15min from Malton to her house!! but yeah your right it is boonyville :S There's like nothing there. :( A couple of blocks down theres a farm with cows and horses! :S
marria

April 18, 2005 8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home