Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Be prepared...it's long! (but worth it)

I have a new obessesion that looks like it's here to stay. (no sorry Khadeeja, it isn't eBay.) My new obsession is CFRB1010. For those who don't know what that is, it's a newstalk radio station where different hosts discuss a variety of topics. (You can also listen to it online at www.cfrb.com) Anyway, I find myself listening to it at work a lot (perhaps as a form of intellectual stimulation?) and quite frequently if I'm driving somewhere. Their range of topics is pretty broad and they're really quite interesting. A majority of the time they are controversial, but I guess that's what newstalk radio is about.

Yesterday as I was driving in the evening, John Moore-one of the evening hosts- began a discussion about religion in the workplace. The topic stemmed from an article that was published in the Chicago Tribune about a man who was suing his workplace for not allowing him to begin a Christian group at work. (view the article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0510250284oct25,1,4065226.story?ctrack=1&cset=true) Moore asked the question about where religion belongs in the workplace. For example, if a certain company had a Bible study group during lunch and the VP was a part of it, would you, a hypothetical non-religious person (or person of different religious belief) take part in that group just so that you would get in well with the VP, or have a shot at that promotion you've been after?

When the calls started to come in, I must say I was shocked at the amount of religious intolerance that is rampant in Toronto. Our Toronto. Prime example of multiculturalism at its best. One lady called in and said "Well those people shouldn't take out their prayer rugs and pray 3 to 5 times a day because it's on company time, they should do it on their own time". Moore brought up the fact that who is it disturbing?? Most people go off in a corner to do their thing and then come back. The calls kept pouring in with people saying that religion should be kept separate from work and how you don't need to display your religion. One guy called in and said that he was the manager of a certain company and he had hired three Muslim guys fully aware that they were Muslim. The new employees requested time set aside so that they may pray and the employer even offered his office. He said that as long as the work got done, he didn't care what they did. Besides, people go out for cigarette breaks more often then they do to take time out to pray, don't they?

So what's the problem? I have worked with people of many different religious orientations-Christians, Hindus, Sikhs, agnostics and even atheists etc. Some of these people are the best people that I have ever worked with. I have never had anyone give me a weird stare or anything of the sort when I openly practice my religion. In Ramadan, I have people asking me about why I fast and they're so mindful not to offend me with food in the open (not that it does) but the consideration is very thoughtful. Sometimes they even remind me that it's almost time to break my fast! I'm sure many people can relate to this as well.


News flash: We're not a melting pot like the United States where we all assimilate as one being. In another discussion today on CFRB, a Sikh student was pulled off a train for carrying his kirpan, or ceremonial dagger. My understanding is that this is not a weapon, but rather a symbol of their religion, and the host in the morning stressed that it was a blunt object adn couldn't cut anything. One lady called in and said that of course it was a good decision to pull the student off because he could have slit the throat of the driver with it. Give me a break! There are a million and one logical and logistical factors I could think to refute that. And please, use common sense. Basically the consensus of most was that "when in Rome, do as the Romans do", so if you're here in Canada, adapt to the "Canadian way" (which I think is more the secular way) or get out. Sad isn't it?

We're lucky that we live in a city and country that is as tolerant as it is. But now I'm not so sure. Apparently this is the opinion shared by many. I could branch off into so many topics, religious arbitration, religious symbols etc but I'll save that for another day. In the meantime let's hope that our society stays teh way it is, and these underlying feelings of many don't ruin the diversity of the community that we have today.

9 Comments:

Blogger AKA said...

I'm just as obsessed with CFRB1010 Shaz, and I love the topics they bring up; especially the ones that get everyone riled up.

I agree that as long as your ritual (whether it be prayer or a cigarette break) doesn't harm anyone else or interfere with your ability to complete your work, there should be no reason why it not be allowed. We obviously all have different beliefs and if we're to respect each other as people and coworkers, then the rituals are part of the package (regardless of how gross cigarettes are).

(Long live John Moore and Jim Richards!! lol)

October 26, 2005 7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Slmz Shazia :)

My whole family loves 1010 too! That's the only thing we can agree on to listen to in the car.

Found you through Nauman hope you don't mind

October 26, 2005 11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Shazu! Great post babe...just wanted to welcome you back to the blogging scene...we missed you man...keep up the good work!

October 26, 2005 11:38 PM  
Blogger RandomLiterati said...

Hey Aaliya! I'm glad that you found this I'm glad I have a new commenter! Lol not that I love all you regulars :)

I agree, CFRB is GREAT. And Jim Richards is hilarious! A member of the Conservative party was supposed to call into his show and he didn't, so on air he was dissing him...it was so awesome I was cracking up.

October 27, 2005 12:25 AM  
Blogger RandomLiterati said...

Oh I forgot to mention one thing. In the same discussion about the Sikh student and assimilating, one Muslim guy called in and really, this guy was a real goof. (Mind you, there are ways to deal with it, he just didn't say it in the most convincing way) He said that his wife wears the niqaab, or the face veil, and he said "if someone wanted my wife to remove her veil for identification purposes, she had better do it!" HUH?! You'd humiliate your wife and subject her to defeating the purpose of her covering? Like really, what were you thinking?

October 27, 2005 12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

having visited a few american cities now, i've realized that americans are more "religious". They still have a tough time accepting other religions though.

Canada is a confused country. It allows us to practice as we wish, even if those practices are immoral. As a result, if people can be immoral and have public displays about it, then why cant the religious be proud to display their morality. Those who oppose mixing religion with everyday life need to do some serious soul searching.

faisal.

P.S WELCOME BACK !!!

October 27, 2005 1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh ... by the way
can you put that picture of the guy on the horse at the top again
i'm sooo used to seeing it.. haha

faisal.

October 27, 2005 2:53 PM  
Blogger Nauman said...

Salaam Walaikum.

Welcome back to the blogging world...

I agree that religion should be permitted in the workplace provided that it isn't disturbing to others. However, a good point was brought up regarding employees joining certain groups just to impress their boss into getting a raise or promotion. Sadly, many people do try to use religion as a tool for other advancements.

Perhaps it's best to not have any specific faith groups at work or "bible studies" but to have a Multifaith room where a member of any race or religion can pray when need be.

October 27, 2005 3:21 PM  
Blogger AKA said...

If in the case that your boss is a part of a Bible group at work, and you want to impress him you can always try to find another common interest or simply join the group despite your faith - not to suck up, but because we could all learn about another religion for the sake of knowledge.

October 28, 2005 3:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home