Thursday, April 13, 2006

Things we take for granted...

Oh wow. It has been a long time since I blogged. So long that I found this post in my drafts from back in April and I decided to post it even though it has been so long. I'm going to try and post something more regularly. Oh and today isn't April 13th. It's October 30th.

I've started an experiment lately. One of my coworkers, Natasha and I decided to try giving up chocolate for two weeks. Why you might ask? Not because we're on a diet, or because we're trying to eat healthy (well we are, but that's an aside). We're doing it just to see if we can do it. Today is day 8, and I can say we are 100% chocolate free. 6 days to go! But of course the whole point is after the two weeks not to binge on chocolate but to control the intake, because now we know we can live without it and choose alternatives. As an aside, we've also given up chips and fries for two weeks, but that's much easier to give up since we don't have those as often anyways.

Mind you, giving up chocolate isn't easy. Especially when there is temptation everywhere. Especially in the form of people. People have been tempting us left, right and center. It doesn't help either that its a big commerical chocolate time for Easter and that it's everywhere. It doesn't help when people have been saying that brownies with chocolate icing would be so good right about now. It doesn't help that my boss gave everyone chocolate bunnies. So I have this big, gourmet chocolate bunny sitting on my desk staring at me. Natasha and I initially decided that should we break and have chocolate we'd have to put $1 in a jar each time. one of our supervisors suggesed something much bigger. She suggested that we put in $20 each time, and with whatever is collected at the end we to treat everyone at work to something. It's meant to act as a deterrent, and has it ever worked so far! The grand total is $0!

What I have learned in this process: it's not much the craving of chocolate, it's the convenience of it. Since it's all around us, it's almost intuitive to pick it up and just have it. It's easy and convenient. The trick is in finding alternative snacks. Of course, nothing hits the spot like chocolate but fruit is a close second. The whole point is to strengthen our self-control and see if we can go without. And as time goes on, it gets easier.

We did manage to get through the two weeks totally chocolate-free. And we didn't have a chocolate party afterwards either. But we don't crave chocolate as much anymore either, it's become more of an occasional thing now. Either way, the experiment worked. Way to go!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds something like the msn-boycott some of us tried a few months back... didn't work for me unfortunately... i'm weak i tell you, weak!... anyways, i hear chocolate is addictive so its commendable that you were able to last that long...

anyways, welcome back to the world of blogging (for the 5th time is it? are you here to stay this time? :P)!

October 31, 2006 1:19 PM  
Blogger AKA said...

...I'm in shock that there's a post after 7 months...I'll need a moment here...

It took you 7 months to put up a post you wrote in APRIL!?! Well you chose a great date to get back to posting ;) I remember that chocolate boycott. And I remember we tried to tempt you too. Fun times. But I really am losing my faith in you as a blogger. Don't let me down :p

Rehan, wasn't our MSN boycott a year (or more) ago? Maybe it's time we tried another round? C'mon, this time I know you can do it!

November 01, 2006 5:33 AM  
Blogger Humz said...

Oh my gosh - C'est possible? Girl I need somehting sweet after every meal.

November 01, 2006 10:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Good post.. FINALLLY!!! And the best time to test bad habit/cravings is Ramadan! Go Shaz!

November 05, 2006 3:53 PM  
Blogger Humz said...

Yo Women - when you gonna update your blog!?!?

January 04, 2007 12:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

got your link from a Karachi Meet Up post from karachi... i thought your blog would be updated but really m quite disappointed... :(

December 07, 2008 10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home