Monday, March 13, 2006

Medicine 101

I'm too sick to blog. Blah. What have I learned in two weeks? My intuition of not trusting walk-in clinic doctors is right, they don't diangose you properly and give you antibiotics for no reason. And we all know what that leads to. Antibiotic resistance, so when you actually DO need antibiotics, they won't work. Here's a primer in medicine: DISCLAIMER- this is not meant to override any professional medical opinions!!! This is just me and my sickness talking.

- If you have a cold/flu, don't bother going to the doctor. It's viral and no medication of any sort will help. Unless you want a nasal spray to clear up your nose, that might help. The best thing: take an antihistamine. It'll clear up your nasal passages and dry out your runny nose. Well, it worked for me. Sort of. Just suck up the misery, it'll go away. The common cold lasts a few days and the flu lasts up to two weeks. Oh yeah, and wash your hands like crazy. Its the best way to avoid getting sick and spreading germs.

- Antibiotics are for bacterial infections. They are not cure-all miracle drugs. Be wary.

- Codeine is a good cough suppressant. (according to published literature) So pop those Tylenol 3's! (of course, under a doctor's supervision).

- No matter how much you dislike needles, get your flu shot. I'm learning that the hard way.

- And last but not least, the flu shot will NOT prevent the Avian flu.

'Tis the season to get sick, so good luck in your battle against whatever malady might befall you. I wish you all the best of health. I have a feeling some of you are going to need it.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shaz has a SUPERBUG! or is she a superbug!?! LOL

Shazia's facts came from Time Magazine and the National Geographic!

I got my flu shot! And I sit beside Shaz almost every morning and I haven't got sick yet!

Ok enough of my random comments

love yeah Shaz!

March 14, 2006 8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have 2 words for u Shaz, ANTIBIOTIC CYCLING!!

so according to you if you wash your hands frequently then you are less likely to get sick yes?? then Mr. Tan Shoes (Chris) should be indefinately ill!!!....hahahaha

anyway, this is a pointless comment but since you asked me to, i did it for u!

btw, Johnny is no better, just think fuscia shirt and "mr. cool!" hahaha

March 14, 2006 9:00 AM  
Blogger Hash & Hana said...

OMG.. you can be my husband's new best friend!! He complains at least twice a day about patients who beg for antibiotics when they have a viral infection. He also complains a few times a day about how walk-in clinics really screw patients.

March 14, 2006 3:41 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Thank goodness for your lil disclaimer... otherwise Shaz, you know it's illegal to give medical advice... I found out the hard way back in my first few weeks in the Pharm business.

And YOU of all people, bc u work in 2 germ-filled environments (pharm & hosp) should have gotten the flu shot.. and yeah I'm regretting it too :(

March 14, 2006 10:51 PM  
Blogger AKA said...

I think you know my stance on doctors and going to see them when I am sick.

From now on I'm going to see Dr.Shaz :D since you have access to free drugs, I can bypass the real doctor altogether! Now if I could only find my health card...

April 10, 2006 9:36 PM  
Blogger Humz said...

But I like drugs!

October 21, 2006 2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home